Jun 3, 2013

Author-Illustrators

Many famous writers are/were author-illustrators:  Dr. Seuss, Beatrix Potter and one of my favorites, Mo Willems. I tend to think these people had an unfair advantage as opposed to the plain ole authors, like myself.

Sometimes when I write a manuscript, I have very vivid ideas for illustrations.  The problem is I can't put those images on paper because I'm not an artist.  This usually makes me think, "Aww, man, if only an agent could see the story's potential, they would want this manuscript!"  But, no, here I am, only with text to offer.

I imagine people like Dr. Seuss and Beatrix Potter simply handing a complete book to an agent or publisher, and the agent being blown away by the awesomeness of the complete product.  This makes me feel like author-illustrators have such a huge advantage of just plain ole authors.

Do you think there are picture books that wouldn't have been published without the illustrations complete from day one?

1 comment:

  1. I think so. If I'm not mistaken, the Berenstain Bears were written and illustrated by the husband and wife team. By itself, I don't think the language of the books would have sold to a publisher, especially when you look at how stylistic the bears are.

    Had they only the language, and pitched it as a "family of bears, giving moral lessons, values, etc.", the agents/publishers would have glossed over their query. The art sold those first books, I'm sure of it.

    ReplyDelete